Sunday, July 27, 2014

For Mom

I'm sitting in my office at church during the 8:45 service checking tweets, getting ready to teach next hour and listening to some Iron & Wine. I've got coffee, a Nature Valley breakfast bar, an office, a sweet computer, a job, money, a car, and incredible family and a beautiful girlfriend. I am #blessed. I'm reading through some tweets and seeing all these cliche Sunday morning "I'm at church" tweets from various friends. The one repeating thing that sticks out to me is the over-used, sarcastic hashtag of #blessed. 

I am blessed. We are all blessed. If you are reading this, you have a computer or smartphone. You are blessed. Yesterday was my mother's birthday (and my aunt's-twins). We are all lucky to have the moms that we have. Who else was there for us when we were sick? Who helped you get on the bus your first day of school? Who kissed our wounds when we got hurt and who made it all better? Moms are the best and are a blessing from God.

From the moment I entered this world and took my first breath, I was loved by my mother. My first cry was a joyful noise and music to her ears. She dedicated her entire life to caring for, loving, supporting, serving, and dying for her us kids. It's what moms are best at and it's what they're made for. No one else can comfort us and make us see the beauty inside of us like a mom can. We're embarrassed as kids when our moms are moms. We are embarrassed when they'd show up to our sporting events dressed in our colors with signs and posters and screaming our names. We got embarrassed when they'd try to hug us or kiss us around our friends. We'd try to run when they'd want to hold us. I was ungrateful and an idiot.

Life can suck. You all know that very well. Life leaves us broken, insecure, feeling worthless, angry, questioning, and depressed. Life knocks us down and isn't what we want it to be. It's out of control. All along, we have this woman cheering us on. Our mothers. They pick us up. They see the beauty in us. They push us towards our dreams. They love us. They look out for us. They lend an ear. They give advice. They bring us peace and they cherish us in a world that says we're worth nothing. That is unbelievable. How lucky am I to have such a person in my life?

No one soothes my soul like my mother does. On days where I'm questioning what I'm doing in my life or days when I'm angry, depressed, feeling like I don't belong and feeling like God is distant, my mother is there. Calling me. Texting me. Inviting me over for dinner to remind me that I am a priceless treasure. Telling me that I am special and unique. Reminding me that God has a tight grip on my life and holds me in His hand. Telling me once again that there is nothing I can do to let her down or make her or God love me any less. In my mother's eyes, I am an all-star. I know it's cheesy and childish but who else in your life sees you the way God made you and is more than willing to remind you of that?

So today's post is for my mom Paula. I can never tell you how much you do for me. Your words are a life raft when I'm sinking. They're water for when I thirst. They're a cool breeze on a hot day. Thank you for always loving me and for knowing that even though we make mistakes and mess it up, God still loves us. Thanks for being so strong. Thanks for raising me. 

We are blessed 

-Parker Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment