Monday, July 14, 2014

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness?

I started long boarding during my first semester in college. I had a few friends that got me into it and had an extra boards that I could borrow before I got my own. One warm October night, I decided to try a new hill with two friends. It was a beautiful fall evening and life was good. I was new at school, I was making new friends, I was learning new perspectives on just about everything on life and things were looking up. I had plans to get a sweet job, make more friends and get a cute new girlfriend all while becoming an upcoming biblical scholar. 

I started down the hill feeling confident and at peace. I was getting pretty good at long boarding and felt great. Until I ran over a sewer grate going 35 miles and hour. I went from feeling positive and great about my life to thinking "this isn't going to be so great." in a moment. I knew I was going down and there was nothing I could do about it. That feeling is quite possibly the most terrifying and hopeless feeling a person can have. Not knowing what is going to actually happen but imagining everything that could happen will drive you insane. It's the complete loss of control.

Control is something we (Americans) are fed our entire lives. The whole idea of the American dream is to break away from a society that was under the control of a King so that you can take control of your life and make it whatever you want. The idea of doing whatever you want whenever you want however you want is burned into our brains from birth. 

When God was finished creating the universe the Scriptures say He set the seventh day apart as holy and that God rested. We call this the Sabbath. God gave special attention to what He had just created and then came down and dwelled with His creation. He reflected on all that He did and how good it was. This idea was brought into the Jewish nation in the ten commandments. Take a day to rest, step back, and think about two things. Observe and reflect. Observe is to realign your focus from yourself back to God and to make sure we know our place in life. Observe that God is God and we are His creation. He is the potter and we are the clay. The second thing is to reflect on all God has done for you. For the Jews, this was a time to reflect on God bringing them out of slavery in Egypt. So we observe and reflect. God is God, and He has brought us out of slavery and continues to do so.

All throughout Scripture we see this idea of "be still" when things are going wrong. Exodus 14 tells us the Lord will fight for us and we need only to "be still" or cease. Psalm 46 paints a picture of the world collapsing and God calls us to "be still" and know the God is God and that He has and will bring us out unscathed.

So Scripture is telling us that God is God and we are not. It's telling us that He has brought our ancestors out of trouble over and over again and that He will continue to do so if we trust Him. America tells us there are many gods and it is up to us to make our own happiness and bring ourselves out of the crap in our lives. 


That's a problem.

It's a problem because I swear I know what I need and I know what is best for me. America says so too. I know how to do my job, I know my family and the dynamics of the relationships in my life, I known my bank account, I know how this world works so I'm going to stick to my guns and follow the god of money, greed, lust, pride, status etc. I can deal with this on my own and plan my life based on this mindset and everything will go according to plan because I know best.

This has been the mindset of men since beginning of time.

And we wonder why the world is so incredibly messed up. 

Genocide, sex trafficking, war, oppression, depression, abuse, slavery, murder, political corruption, cheating, stealing, rape, corporate fraud. The list goes on and on. Turn on the news today and I guarantee you will hear these words. This is the world that we live in . This is what a life centered around control looks like and yet we still believe our hearts and are convinced we know what's best.

Maybe we should try another solution. Maybe we let go of control and trust that the one true God, in which there are no others, the God who created our abilities to even understand what control is or to speak that word, the God who has brought the Jews out of Egypt and has brought us out of death and into life, brought us out of our depression and divorce and pain and stress over and over again will bring us out just one more time. When you observe and you reflect, it becomes silly to think that we should be in control or even think that we could control our lives and make them better than the one who made us.

That's where heaven and earth collide. That's how we were made live. That's how life is meant to be.

Thanks for reading,

@pPantzims

No comments:

Post a Comment