Saturday, July 19, 2014

Love (possibly part 1 of 2)

Today's word==> Love. What's it got to do, got to do wit it baby? (bae for you hip young teens) Hahah I couldn't resist. There are sooo many song lyrics I want to put in this post but I'll try to keep it strickly my random thoughts. Hmm. This is a tough one. Love is such a loaded word. I has such a profound meaning but it gets tossed around like any other word. For instance, on any given day I will say that I love many things. Chipotle, whatever song I'm listneing to, a movie someone talks about etc. I (we) say we love many things but do we really?

As most of you know, there are 4 loves. There is agape, which is the unconditional love that God has for His creation. This is the love a parent feels (or should feel) when they see their child for the first time. I am not a parent so I can't say this is 100% true but I know the feeling I had the first time I held my nephew. He'd been breathing on this planet for just a few minutes and I swore I'd give my life for that kid. I can only imagine the affection is even greater for a parent and their child. There is philia, which is brotherly, bromance, "I've got your back" type of love. This is the love I have for my siblings and closest friends. It's an incredible bond to share with someone. The third is eros, which is the sexual love shared between a husband and wife. Lasty, we have storge, which is affection with someone who was brought into your life by chance.

I say I love all of these things on a regualr basis but I don't unconditionally care for a burrito. I don't love a U2 song like I do my brother, I don't love a new movie like I do my girlfirend and I certainly don't love sunsets in an eros kind of way. This happens all the time in our world. We toss these holy words around like it's nothing and because of that, they lose their meaning and power.

Love is an incredible thing when you experience it. There's nothing like love. That moment when you first realize the weight of sin and how deep God's love truly is for you is perhaps the most powerful, life shattering (in a good way) feeling there is. That love- those are the occasions and feelings where we should use the word love. Shouldn't we only use the word love when we truly feel like all other words fall short when it comes to expressing the affections you have towards a person?

For those of you in a relationships where you've dropped the L-bomb. Remember what it was like to say that for the first time? Such a terrifying yet exciting, passionate moment. Terrifying beacuse of the courage it takes to let down all the walls of your soul and reach the ultimate point of vulnerability. You're putting all of your heart out there and hoping the other person doesn't desroy it. Exciting and passionate because of what it means. You're letting a person know that they mean more to you than most things in this world. You're expressing how much they truly mean to you and it's a wonderful place to be.

That is how we should view love. Love is a rare, beautiful, dangerous thing. Love isn't made. Love doesn't sell or pay but we buy and sell our love away. (Jon Foreman)

Here's a shout out to all the songs I can think of off the top of my head involving love: All you need is love, In the name of love, Love is dangerous, love isn't made, love is a verb, what's love got to do?, ordinary love, our love, whole lotta love, will you love me tomorrow, i cant stop loving you, love shack, baby love, crazy in love, pusher love girl, hello, i love you, love rollercoaster, crazy little thing called love, somebody to love, i wanna love you, love in this club.... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment